Pages

Thursday 4 December 2014

I dress for myself.

Coat, Jumper, Skirt & Shoes - Topshop
Mini Satchel - ASOS
Lipstick - MAC

At the risk of this becoming a whiny feminist rant, I'm trying to point out that in no way do I dress for attention. In a previous post I said I dressed for my own personality and the feeling of the day, and that is the only reason! I don't dress to attract anyone else, or to impress them. This is my feeling of the day because even while out in this outfit - with a total of about 7 inches of visible skin - I was catcalled and wolf-whistled while walking home, and I know so many people that say girls should dress to avoid this, or that they dress to invite this. My only reaction to this is: what?? Never have I seen a guy in the street and thought that whistling or shouting 'Alright, darling!' would be appropriate or the best way to get his attention. Why are women so sexualised and judged for our bodies that this behaviour is common? It happens to me repeatedly, regardless of how I actually dress, and the only thing I can do is ignore it! It just frustrates me that women are expected to deal with this daily, and if we shout anything back we are even more insulted. I have never dressed to attract attention - I dress purely as creative expression (with some consideration to practical factors) and to make myself feel good. If I feel more confident in a skirt than jeans, then that's the only reason I'm wearing it. If I want to wear lipstick, it's because it complements my dress. There's nothing going through my mind in the morning as I get dressed that is aiming for other people to find me attractive - I'm sure many people don't like my outfits! Now I'm aware I'm getting carried away, so I'll curtail my rambling, but please, if you read this then think for a minute about why women are constantly judged on their bodies and why any attempts to look pretty are taken as an invitation for attention.

Tara India xo

No comments:

Post a Comment